What I need for Residence Permit for Investment Activity:
The Residence Permit for Investment Activity (ARI), in force since October 8, 2012, allows third-country nationals to obtain a temporary residency through investment activity with the exemption of residence visa to enter national territory. The ARI beneficiary will be able to:
- To enter Portugal with the exemption of residence visa;
- To reside and work in Portugal, and at least to remain in Portugal for a period not to exceed 7 days in the first year and not less than 14 days in subsequent years;
- Circulate through the Schengen area, without visa requirements;
- Benefit from family reunification;
- Request the granting of Permanent Residence Authorization under the Foreigners Law (Law no. 23/2007, of July 4, with the current wording). Citizens who hold a residence permit for an investment activity and their family members, who fulfill the requirements of Article 80 of the REPSAE and who require the granting of a permanent residence permit, will be issued a residence permit for permanent investment activity, excepting to this regime the provisions of paragraph b) of no. 2 and no. 3 and 4 of article 85 of the same law (cancellation of the right due to absences from the national territory, see Article 65-K of Dec. Reg. 84/07 of 5/11, in its current version). The Residence Permit for Permanent Investment Activity may be subject to specific rates of analysis and issuance, to be regulated by amendments to Administrative Rule no. 1334-E / 2010, of December 31.
- Possibility of requesting the acquisition of Portuguese nationality, by naturalization, fulfilling the other requirements required by the Nationality Law (Law no. 37/81, of October 3, with the current wording).
Who can apply?
All nationals of third countries who carry out an investment activity, either personally or through a company incorporated in Portugal or in another EU State and having a permanent establishment in Portugal, which meet one of the quantitative requirements and the time requirement in the applicable legislation , may apply for Residence Permit for Investment Activity by investing in one of the following possibilities:
(i) the transfer of capital amounting to EUR 1 million or more;
(ii) the creation of at least 10 jobs;
iii) Acquisition of immovable property worth 500 thousand euros or more;
iv) Acquisition of immovable property, the construction of which has been completed for at least 30 years or located in an area of urban rehabilitation and rehabilitation of acquired real estate, in an aggregate amount equal to or greater than 350 thousand euros;
v) Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 350 thousand euros, which is applied in research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated into the national scientific and technological system;
vi) Transfer of capital in the amount of 250 thousand euros or more, which is applied in investment or support for the artistic production, recovery or maintenance of the national cultural heritage, through services of the central and peripheral direct administration, public institutes, entities that integrate the public enterprise sector, public foundations, private foundations with public utility status, intermunicipal entities, entities that integrate the local business sector, municipal associative organizations and public cultural associations, that continue their attributions in the area of artistic production, recovery or maintenance of cultural heritage national;
vii) Transfer of capital in the amount of € 350,000 or more, for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds for the capitalization of companies, which are set up under Portuguese law, whose maturity at the time of the investment, is at least five years and at least 60% of the value of the investments is made in commercial companies based in the national territory;
(viii) the transfer of capital amounting to € 350,000 or more, for the creation of a commercial company with its head office in Portugal, together with the creation of five permanent jobs, or to increase the share capital of a commercial company with established in the national territory, with the creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of five permanent employees, and for a minimum period of three years.
The ARI regime is not applicable to citizens who are Portuguese nationals and to nationals of the EU and the EEA.